Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Commitments of an Extraordinary Leader by Chris Widener

Its been a while I posted here, I apologise. I came across this inspirational piece from motivational speaker,  Chris Widener




Leadership is a continual process of making to commitments... to oneself, to others, and to the organizations we lead and serve.

With this in mind, here are the commitments an Extraordinary Leader makes:

With a desire to become an Extraordinary Leader, I commit to:

  • Continually pursue personal and professional growth
  • Treating everyone I come in contact with the dignity and respect they deserve
  • Finding the way for as many people as possible to benefit from my decisions and actions
  • Be willing to make and carry out hard decisions without regard to personal expediency
  • The highest level of personal and corporate integrity
  • Tell the truth and be honest, regardless of potential personal loss
  • Think "team" first
  • Finding a person who can mentor me
  • Finding at least one person I can personally mentor
  • Help others discover their strengths and function in them
  • Maintain my priorities and organize my life and work according to them
  • Live a life of balance between work, family, and leisure
  • Pursue balanced growth in body, soul and spirit - understanding that each area affects the others innately
  • Pursue what is best - for myself, my organization, and for others - and not settle for that which is simply "good enough"
  • Do work and live a life that leaves behind a lasting legacy of excellence
  • Build a team to surround me in order to enhance my strengths and make up for my weaknesses
  • Surround myself with people who will tell me the truth and not just what they think I want to hear
  • Become a great listener
  • Be an Extraordinary Follower of those who are my leaders
  • Help others develop their skills
  • Dream big dreams and encourage others to do the same
  • Stretch my followers enough to make them grow but not so much as to discourage them
  • Be driven by vision, mission and purpose, not by circumstances or expediency
  • View the world through optimistic eyes
  • Embrace the concept of change as a positive force for improvement
  • Be responsible in my actions as they relate to my commitments to myself and others
  • Be tenacious in my pursuits
  • Give more than I receive and to be characterized by generosity
  • Show courage in the face of challenge
  • Be an example of dedication and commitment
  • Share the privileges of leadership with those who follow me
  • Give power away to those who can share in it responsibly and help the organization
  • Use both my head and my heart when leading
  • Manage my time according to my priorities
  • Be the first to sacrifice when sacrifice is needed
  • Make all short-term decisions with the long-term goals in mind
  • Develop a successor
  • Develop excellent communication skills
  • Use a variety of means of influence
  • Be the primary strategy setter for the organization
  • Teach others
  • Inspire others
  • Keep my eye on the big picture
  • Making the complex simple
  • Motivate others
  • Consider others as important as myself
  • Identify future leaders
  • Train and develop future leaders
  • Regularly reward accomplishment
  • Allow followers to fail in their attempts at growth and innovation
  • Work leadership development into every level of the organization
  • Have a clear vision
  • Remain calm in difficult situations
  • Keep a sense of humor
  • Remove people from their position as soon as I know they need to go
  • Empathize with others

 Chris Widener


As we prepare to elect new leaders in the forthcoming polls, let us watch out for some of these qualities. God Bless Nigeria

No comments:

Post a Comment